Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Crackers, Again

A disclaimer: These are still not the same as the saltine crackers you buy and I haven't made ghee yet to try, as one of the comments from this post recommended, but I will, one day. I can only eat so many crackers!

Anyway, the cracker recipe I wound up liking best doesn't make very many crackers. I made some changes to the original. Maybe after a few more tries, they'll be better.


  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola on one batch, olive oil on another and couldn't tell the difference)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt. I made it a generous teaspoon.
  • 1 teaspoon yeast. Again, I made it generous.
  • 1/2 cup of cold water. I skimped on this the first time because the dough seemed as if it would get too mushy, but the second time I used it all and the crackers crisped a little better.
  • Extra salt for the tops wasn't mentioned in the recipe, neither was pricking them, but I did both.

Add the yeast and salt to the flour and mix it well, then pour the oil into that and mix. I wound up using my hands for this part, so be prepared. Add cold water a little at a time, mixing to keep the dough as smooth as possible, then cover and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. I found that a half hour was better.

Roll the dough out very, very thin, and try to not get the edges much thinner than the middle, because they will brown too fast. Sprinkle with salt and cut into squares or other shapes. I used a pizza cutter, but a knife should work fine. Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 12 - 16 minutes.

As I said, they're not like store bought, but that's a plus in many ways. I doubled the recipe successfully. They do tend to crumble easily. I've had some stored in a plastice container for about two weeks and they're still fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment