Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Frugal Warning: Declutterers, Beware!

It must be the time of year. Every where I go, I hear people talking about how much they threw out, how thoroughly they cleaned out the closet, how many bags of things they took to the thrift store, what they set aside for a garage sale.

Lest anyone think I'm a hoarder, I'm not. Really, I'm not. Honest. Ok, so there are a few things I hold onto, like plastic bags (but not so many), milk jugs (just enough - a dozen or so), twist'em ties (you never know when you might need one), plastic lids (frisbee? coaster? craft template?)... Maybe I'll never get into that skirt again. One day I'll use it for quilt pieces.

BUT... I never am at a loss when someone asks, "do you have anything I can use for...?" Or "How can I fix this without going to the store?"

Once upon a time, a sister-in-law came to my mom's house and asked for a "sack or something." Mom gave her a paper sack from the stack she always kept. My sister-in-law had thrown all of hers out and said so. Mom's not one to lecture, but she did have her say that day.

I won't repeat it, but before you throw something out, you might want to check around to see if any friends or family members keep a stash. Just in case, you know.

1 comment:

  1. Helen, hoarding has to be controlled, I agree. Space limitations and the way we feel about our stashes are important. If they overwhelm us, it's time for them to go. I think we can go too far either way.

    ReplyDelete