Friday, November 13, 2009

Fresh pumpkin soup

I finally baked the pumpkin my daughter got for me today! I don't know why anyone would buy canned pumpkin when they can get fresh pumpkin. I have enough in the freezer for pies for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and plenty for pumpkin bread and cookies and even pumpkin soup, all for about two dollars. Ten cups of fresh pumpkin!

There was a little over a half cup left when I'd portioned it out for the freezer, so I made pumpkin soup for supper. I read a couple of recipes then I winged it because I didn't have everything they called for and I didn't have enough pumpkin anyway.

I made a cup of chicken bouillon, added about a teaspoon of dehydrated onion and a couple of shakes of powdered garlic. I cooked that, then thickened it with flour (mixed in cold water), then I put in the pumpkin, some salt and pepper, a strip of bacon that had been cooked and crumbled and a good dollop of plain yogurt.

Wow, was that good! The problem was that I can never duplicate the exact flavor because I didn't write any of it down and most of it wasn't measured to begin with. I'll try again, though, because this is going to become a stock recipe in my kitchen!

12 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful!
    Our church had a pumpkin giveaway to all the children and we had a lot left over. So everyone could take as many as they wanted.
    We got several of the jack o lantern variety and then the NEXT week, there were still some left in the field so we picked up a few more.
    I have probably 40 cups of pumpkin in freezer bags in our freezer AND 15 loaves of pumpkin bread in the freezer as well.
    I think I have about six or seven little "pie" pumpkins to cook and freeze yet...
    I just couldn't stand seeing them all go to waste!
    By the way, I stirred some cooked pumpkin in with my mashed potatoes and just fixed it as I regularly would. IT was delicious! Then the next day, I added some cheese and had it for lunch! REALLY GOOD!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really made a haul, Beth! I would never have thought of pumpkin and cheese together, but I'm going to keep that in mind. Mixing it with mashed potatoes is a great idea,too. Maybe we'll both be wishing for more pumpkin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting for me to read the post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, anonymous. Hope you enjoy the other posts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that pumpkin sounds wonderful. How are you folks cooking it?. Baking the pumpkin in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I bake it in the oven. I cut the top off, scooped out the seeds and put the top back on, then baked it at 350 until it was fork tender. When it's done that way, you can slice it open, scrape out the stringy part in the middle and peel off the skin. I made this soup again and it was just as good the second time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, I'm gonna have to take your word on this one. That said... I'll always give any food dish a try so if I ever get the opportunity to try it, I will and will let ya know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a chance to try it soon, Lawrence. It really is good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkin soup is one of our family favorites! It is delicious and you can even put chunks of chicken in it! Don't be afraid to experiment with it!
    I heard on the news from the Libby Company that there is a pumpkin shortage this year and that there will NOT be enough canned pumpkin for Thanksgiving pies and that even the store bought ones have a shortage! I am thankful that I bought my pumpkins early and I pureed them and have them tucked safe in my freezer for my pumpkin pies! For those of us who are frugal and think ahead there is no pumpkin shortage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I heard that last year, about there being a pumpkin shortage. Maybe it's an urban legend? It won't bother me either way... I haven't bought canned pumpkin in years. It's too expensive and it tastes bland, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure about the Urban Legend but Libbey's is the one who came out and declared a pumpkin shortage this year due to a lot of rain and a late harvest. Then again they could be making it up so everyone hoards canned pumpkin who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Libbey's did? Maybe there is a pumpkin shortage, then. The weather was weird enough for it this year. I have enough pumpkin in my freezer for the next couple of years, I think.

    ReplyDelete