Monday, July 23, 2007

Pennies

Ok, so it doesn't take much to thrill me. I went to the Goodwill store the other day and found a rubber spatula, the old fashioned kind, made of real rubber, not plastic. It was only 79 cents, too. Then I found a really cute little teakettle. It holds about 3 cups and fits perfectly on one of the small burners on the stove. That means that it doesn't waste energy while heating up.

Super finds, huh? :)

I know... some people (maybe even you) wonder how in the world I can crow about something like that. Well, pennies being pennies, I saved a few. Why not? A few pennies can turn into a few nickels, then a few dimes, then a few quarters and a few dollars and so it goes.

My pennies (and by default, my dollars) are put into a savings account with a good rate of interest (INGDirect.com) and there they stay, ready for me to do whatever I want with them. They add up faster than you'd think.

The next time you save a penny, don't just drop it back in your pocket. Put it somewhere so it can grow and you'll be surprised at what happens.

4 comments:

  1. have you tried e*trades high savings accounts? in the us, its as high as 5.05% interest... my family uses it lots and it is like a penny saved is a couple more pennies earned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't tried e trades. I've had an account with ING for quite awhile. They're not paying quite as much as that, but they're a full service option. Thanks for idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Pat. I love shopping for items at the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. I enjoy container gardening and have found some beautiful small vases and clay pots for our small good luck bamboo that we keep indoors. The other day I re-potted my co-worker's bamboo that was rootbound and very stinky - total cost $4.00. The smile on my co-worker's face - priceless! Terre

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a good deal, Terry. Isn't it a thrill to find just the right thing for cheap? :)

    ReplyDelete