Friday, May 7, 2021

Why You Should Stock Up

 And pay attention. I said "stock up" not hoard. We know the difference even though we tend to split hairs and argue over it. Hoarding is bad for your mental health and bad for others who can't get what you have taken away from them. 

Stocking up is having enough to do you through problematic times, no matter what they are. 

Stocking up for disasters is usually the first thing that comes to mind. If you live in hurricane prone areas you stock up one way and if you live where blizzards could keep you home for days and days, you stock another way. If you "prep" or stock for other possibilities you will have another goal in mind. 

There are as many reasons for stocking up as there are for having different lifestyles, but the one basic thing is preparing for the unexpected. 

Job loss
Illness
Major storms
SHTF - a scene where everything falls apart (who knows?)
Peace of mind
Being able to help others

I'm sure there are other or expanded reasons many of you have. 

What started this post today was when I was asked to help a family who had fallen on hard times. With a couple of young children and little food until payday, they needed help. I was able to go to my pantry and fill three grocery bags with meals for them. 

It didn't leave much of a dent and there is only one thing I need to replace soon. If/when other things happen, I intend to be ready for them, too. I hope you are.

2 comments:

  1. Pat,
    I'm always glad to see another post from you in my inbox because there will be great ideas and words of wisdom inside. The two posts this last several days proved the fact again.
    You spoke well on the difference between hoarding and stocking up and situations which determine how much.
    Thank you for keeping on encouraging and reminding and teaching!

    Pam, Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susie Cute. Your comments encourage me! 😊

    ReplyDelete