Friday, June 7, 2019

Prepare for Higher Prices

I hope you have a garden. If not a garden in the ground, a container garden. If neither of those, a few plants on a windowsill. Whatever you have, increase it.

Why?

Because the cost of all kinds of food is going to go higher and higher. Some of it may unavailable at any price, due to the extreme weather the entire globe is having. Between floods, drought, fires and heat waves, fewer crops have been planted and part of what has been planted, has given minimal yields.

Watch out for an influx of beef and pork, especially, as farmers sell off butcher animals because they can't feed them. After that, the prices will skyrocket because of a shortage of animals as well as higher cost of feeding out what they have due to higher grain prices. Keep your eye on prices and buy while there is still a glut.

Vegetables may go high, too, due to tariffs as well as weather. Even home gardens are behind planting this year and truck farmers are having it just as hard as grain farmers.

I keep wanting to say "Be prepared!" but that's what frugal living is all about. This is just a heads up that you may want to be more focused than ever.


2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR THIS THOUGHTFUL POST. Words of wisdom.

    Pam,
    Knoxville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes food is going to go higher and higher in price and I do a little container gardening on my balcony in my highrise apartment - not a lot of plants but I put in tomatoes, herbs and things like that. I will be going back and getting a few more things for my garden. If I had a house most of my backyard would be a garden. We may be heading into an economic depression worse than a recession as time goes on. Get prepared.

    ReplyDelete