Tuesday, September 17, 2013

How Can We Save on Electricity?

I don't use much electricity. According to some figures I see from here and there, my electric bill is very low. I know that I have better opportunities to save than some people. For instance, I don't use a hair dryer because I don't wash my hair every day and I can plan most activities around it so that I don't have to go anywhere until it dries. Some women have to go to work every day, so washing their hair means using a hair dryer before they go.

There are other things, though, that I do that most others can do to save electricity.

  • Use a manual instead of electric can opener
  • Use extra blankets instead of an electric blanket
  • Microwave things that take a long time in an electric oven or stove top
  • If you have a laptop, run it on the battery until it needs to be charged, then unplug it as soon as it's charged.
  • Turn off the lights! It's been said so many times that we become numb to it, but it really does matter.
  • Keep your freezer full. If you can't keep it full of food, put bottles of water to freeze to fill up the empty spaces.
  • Keep the refrigerator door closed, the coils and gasket clean.
  • Put the TV, computer and other electronics on power strips, then turn them off when they're not being used.

Those are just a few possibilities and it may not seem like you'd save much, but added together these things can make an impact on your bill.

Some other things I do that not everyone may be able to do:

  • Wash dishes by hand rather than paying for electricity for dishwasher
  • Sweep my (hardwood) floors with a broom rather than vacuum
  • Use fans instead of the air conditioner whenever possible
  • Make bread by hand instead of using an electric bread maker
  • Use natural light as long as possible to avoid turning on electric lights
  • Shower, wash dishes and other activities during the daylight hours to avoid using more lights.
  • Use a minimum of electric kitchen appliances like food processors. There are many manual versions available.

If you save electricity in other ways, I'd love to hear about it!