Not everyone thinks that anything like that is in our future so it isn't suprising that they don't think it's important to be prepared, but life changes for us all and it's not always for the better. Those who have only known a time of prosperity are at a disadvantage compared to those who have lived through personal or general bad times... but there I go, opinionizing again.
Some of the skills I can think of that can help ease a bad situtation:
- Know what weeds and flowers are edible for your area.
- Know what plants in your area can be used medicinally and/or have a well stocked medicine cabinet.
- Be able to wash and dry clothes without electricity.
- Know how or have the means to purify water.
- Have some basic skills in cooking without a gas or electric stove.
- Know how to make things like soap, candles and blankets/quilts without having to buy anything for them.
- Have some sewing and mending skills.
- Own nonelectric appliances and tools.
There are more, but that's something to start with.