Thursday, July 19, 2007

Raised Bed Gardens

The circled plant in the foreground is a green onion from a bunch I bought at the grocery store. I planted it because I couldn't eat all of them before they went bad. The rest of the first row is beans, with a few lentils planted at the end. Both beans and lentils came from grocery store packages.

In the back bed are a couple of tomato plants (bought; sorry), a small stand of lettuce and one lonely pepper plant. That's a volunteer amaranth circled - one my daughter planted a few years back called "Dragon's Tears." I suppose you could eat the seeds as well as the leaves on this variety, but I haven't tried it.

At the end, spilling onto the walkway, is a patch of purslane, which is a very good wild vegetable. There's some of it in the beans, too. I let it grow, they do well together.

You see clearly that my garden and yard are not the perfectly trimmed kind that looks like everyone else's. ;)


cyberscryber said...

If you don't mind answering, how much did the bricks cost for your raised beds?

Pat said...

You know, I can't remember! I know that the whole thing including the initial compost and topsoil was a little over a hundred dollars. This is the second year I've used it and expect it to last for decades.

Molfamily said...

I volunteer at a school garden that has themes for their raised beds that I thought your readers might find fun. The name of the school garden is Woodward Gardens and it is located in Tigard, Oregon.

Ala said...

Both Pat's and the school's raised beds are fantastic. Congratulations! I love the stones in the kids' raised beds. They certainly add a lot to the garden!

Anonymous said...

Great Post! Thanks for giving detailed description about blog.