Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Summertime Treats

It doesn't take much warm weather before we're looking for cold treats around here.

I don't really use a recipe for popsicles, but instead, I freeze every little bit of left over juice or fruit drink in layers. Here's where an investment in popsicle freezer containers is well worth the money. That last half inch of orange juice, or the little bit of flat soft drink can be frozen in these containers, a layer at a time, until they're full. Each popsicle is then unique! (If you tend to throw out those little bits otherwise, then they're also free.)

Another summer time treat similar to a 'slushy' is made by using your blender, food processor, or ice crusher to crush ice, then make up Koolaid or a similar powdered drink mix at half strength, and pour over the ice. You can use frozen juice at half strength, too.

Those are a couple of good things about the heat. Otherwise, give me a snowstorm. :)

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to layer the mixtures! I got a tupperware popsicle maker last year right before the summer for almost nothing. I used it all summer to freeze pureed watermelon. They were absolutely delicious!

    I'm going to make them again this year, but this time, I'll layer them per your suggestion, with different juices. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watermelon's another good thing about the hot weather! I never thought of pureeing it then freezing it like that, but I'm going to try that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also freezing Popsicles this year. One thing I have noticed in reading labels throughout the grocery store is that the food industry is using more and more high fructose and corn syrup in everything to replace sugar with!!! No wonder kids are obese (please don't even get me started on that!) Splenda is really not a better alternative either! I buy my own sugar (the real stuff) and buy koolaide type drinks and freeze them!! I am also using pudding in cups which gives a variety of flavors!!
    If you buy canned fruits you can also whip them into the blender and freeze them too! You don't even have to drain the juice!
    You can puree any fruit and freeze it that way you have a variety of frozen pops so you don't get board with it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great idea to puree fruits for popsicles. I'm going to have fun making them this year, not to mention eating them!

    ReplyDelete