Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Crunch Your Gas Prices

* Bike, walk, jog... the exercise is good for you and your budget.
* Carpool when possible, even when buying groceries.
* Use public transportation whenever you can. Subways and busses go there already, so just hop on board.
* Stay home when you don't need to go anywhere.
* If someone is going 'to town' anyway, ask them to pick up whatever you need to save a trip, and do the same for them.
* Do all your errands at one time whether you drive or use public transportation.
* Keep your vehicle in top running condition.
* Don't buy higher octane (read: more expensive) gas than your car needs.
* Keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure.
* Don't overfill the gas tank. When the pump shuts off, it's full.
* Drive gently. No roaring speed ups, no screeching halts.
* Watch your speed on the highway. 55 is still the most efficient speed for most vehicles.
* Don't let your engine sit and idle. If you're going to be in line or not moving for more than a couple of minutes, turn the engine off.
* Don't start your car ahead of time to let it warm up unless it's extremely cold.

Related posts:
Gas Prices, Again... Or, Can You Really Save Money On Gas?
Four dollars a gallon...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    I just got an oil change, and they wanted me to get my tires filled with nitrogen instead of air. It costs $6 a tire (at Uncle Ed's) and it's supposed to save gas and wear and tear on your tires.

    I did what I always do when the man at the oil change shop wants me to spend money: I called my daddy!

    Dad says that as far as he's aware, it IS a good deal, and that newer tires are being filled with nitrogen instead of air.

    Do I want to spend $24 to save 3%? Hmmm.

    Just my 2 cents...

    The Big Seester

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, I hadn't heard of that, so I had to do a little research. It may be that nitrogen saves wear on tires as well as gas, but the price of $24 may be out of line for the amount of savings you'll get. No one seems to agree. Here are three different sites with three different ideas about it:


    Nitrogen filled tires?
    Selling Nitrogen in Tires
    Get Nitrogen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visting my blog on this Memorial Day. Your brother and mine are heroes!

    ReplyDelete