Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A giving of thanks, frugal style

I just can't hold off any longer. Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, whatever - the holidays are rushing in upon us.

Department stores have been displaying ornaments and artificial trees for weeks, the weather is turning steadily cooler, the leaves are almost all gone, and it's almost winter.

We're in that limbo between the first, glorious fall colors and the icy beauty of winter holidays... it must be getting close to Thanksgiving. (With apologies to our Canadian readers, that Thanksgiving slipped right by me! - Somebody remind me next year.)

Sorry, you have to be frugal to appreciate this list of things to be thankful for.

Come on, say after me:

I'm thankful that college kids go home for Christmas and dump their decorations, trees, etc., in the alley before they go - a week before Christmas.

I'm thankful that it's cold at Christmas time so I can knit warm scarves, gloves and mittens from thrift store yarn and they will be appreciated.

I'm thankful for warm clothes that allow me to keep the temperature another degree cooler and save that many more energy dollars.

I'm thankful for flea markets and thrift stores, which are alternates to antique stores, if I'm lucky.

I'm thankful for turkey carcasses, from which I can make my favorite turkey and noodles and turkey and rice soup.

I'm thankful for dollar stores, which allow me to buy holiday nonessentials that won't knock my budget out of kilter.

I'm thankful that living frugally throughout the year lets me face gift-giving holidays without a fearful looking toward next January when the bills come due.

4 comments:

  1. I am totally thankful for all those things. Well, not the college kid one. We don't dumpster dive at the college. But our daughter might. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that ALL mys shopping is done without having to endure Black Friday! I am sitting here on Black Friday enjoying the peace and quiet without getting punched in the face or trampled on just for a deal!!!! A month ago it was 90 degrees and I bought my new winter jacket for $15.00 that same jacket on Black Friday is $20.00! I bought me two sets of knit gloves for $1.40 that same set is now on sale for Black Friday for $5.00! I have also shopped online and got great deals long before Black Friday and I still have my savings account in tact!!!! Not bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very grateful that I still have a roof over my head, had one friend bring me turkey (22 lbs.) ready made with all the trimmings. Had another two friends come by and share the dinner with me. Then I went back to writing articles.

    Am I grateful to be able to come back and share with you precious people...God Bless You All and you especially Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful that it is again in vogue to be thrifty! All this time we were trendsetters! LOL

    ReplyDelete