Monday, September 28, 2009

In Cheap We Trust

I'm almost through with this book (the weekend was too short!) so I wanted to tell you about it. I was asked to read and review it and I'm glad I did.

I can't quite put it in a category, but it would have to be somewhere in the history/economics/frugal/good reading. Lauren Weber has done excellent research and put it all together in a very readable and interesting book.

You've probably already guessed that I recommend it. It will give you a historical perspective of our frugal natures and possibly give you insight into why you are the way you are. It also gives a very good picture of how the American economy works and the condition it's in now, and why.

Even if you're not frugal, you'll enjoy the story of America's historical relationship with money. First, we were frugal, then we were not. Then we were, then we were not. Why and how is a fascinating read, but there's more to it than that.

All the way from Benjamin Franklin to Keynes to women taking part in the financial world are topics that are covered in such a manner that it drew me into the ideas, ideals, mindsets and philosophies of America as we have changed from a new world to the nation that we have now.

You may not find it in libraries yet, since it's new, but look around.
Officially:

Title: In Cheap We Trust
Author: Lauren Weber
ISBN: 978-0-316-03028-1

Let me know what you think about it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog, this sounds like a great book. I am the queen of cheap, so maybe I can gain some insight! Thanks for the post.

    Gloria
    http://morelivingwithlesscash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it, Gloria. I certainly did!

    ReplyDelete