Sunday, November 25, 2007

Time for Gingerbread

You may know that this is my very favorite time of the year. Making new Christmas memories rates right up there with remembering the old, but one of my favorite old memories is when my oldest daughter and I decided to make a gingerbread house.



Yep, it's a little crooked, and nope, it's not fancy. It sure was fun, though.

I've learned a little since then, but one of the things that works just as well now as it did then is the "royal icing" that is used to "glue" the pieces together. If you don't have this recipe, here it is:

  • 3 medium egg whites
  • 1 pound of powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar


Beat egg whites together until frothy. Mix sugar and cream of tartar together, then add to egg whites and beat until stiff, 5 to 10 minutes.

This hardens, so don't make it until you're ready to use it and keep it covered while you work. You can add a drop of food coloring and/or flavoring like vanilla or peppermint oil.

Gingerbread recipes are easily found on the internet, so I won't post one here, but it's good eating and easy to make. I don't think I'll go for a gingerbread house this year, but definitely cookies and... well, maybe a little gingerbread storage shed...

5 comments:

  1. What a great memory to have! I'm sure your daughter remembers it fondly too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether she does or not! That's been a long time ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and what an awesome memory
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Liz. It is a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, this reminded me of about 30 years ago. Our then neighbour Barb had 3 more neighbours over and we made a Gingerbread house and yard. It was on plywood and took up an entire card table. Trees were ice cream cones, iced in green and sparkels on for trimming. gumdrops lined the walk, all in all it was so much fun, and looked so good.
    Then she had a block party with family bringing 1 gift for each of their own children. And Santa came and gave out the gifts. It was a hoot! Everyone had fun, we all chipped in for the eats, and it didn't cost anyone much. My girls still remember it and they are in their late 30's and early 40's!
    Thanks for the memories.
    'tother Pat, in Kitchener, B.C.

    ReplyDelete