Friday, June 1, 2007

A little hail...


All I had to do was talk about hot weather and it turns cold! I'm not complaining, but the hail we had a couple of days ago caused some damage to this catalpa tree that insists on spreading through the back side of the "patio."

It was only marble size hail and not frozen too hard, so there wasn't any serious damage, but it did shred a few leaves from my baby tomato and pepper plants. It's still springtime in Colorado!

This time of year (at least this year) we wobble back and forth between turning on the heater and turning on the air conditioner, often in the same day. Temperatures can fluctuate as much as 50 degrees or more in a 24 hour period.

When it does, it's time for layered clothing that can be adjusted quickly, to avoid using either heater or air conditioner until it's really necessary. I'm quite adept at slipping in and out of sweatshirts without messing up my hair. :)

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad there weren't any tomatoes or peppers to be damaged. Wow...that's some fluctuation in temperature! We don't get anything like that on Long Island (I've seen hail maybe twice in my life here) but it drives me nuts that the day I put all the winter clothes in the attic...the temperature is cool enough for long sleeves. Then a day later, it's hot. We're expecting the 70s all week, which is a nice break. Any time I don't have to turn on the furnace or the a/c is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too early in the year for tomatoes or peppers here, so that was a good thing. I never put away winter clothes, although it's more temperate here than in Wyoming where I grew up.
    I've seen it snow in July there... and the natives crow about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete