Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Two Liter Soft Drink Bottles

And what to do with them? I don't drink much of that stuff any more, but like all good hoarders, I stuck a few back... just in case.

I have used them over time. One way was to cut the top off and use it for a funnel. It fits perfectly into the tops of gallon milk jugs.

I used the bottom half to hold silverware. I wash dishes by hand so I use it to drain them. You could cut it a little shorter and use it to hold silverware or plastic ware for picnics or other informal gatherings. Be sure to trim the top evenly or you'll get scratched.

Using the bottom half again, rim the edge with colored tape and/or paint it and store knitting needles in it. Cut it a little shorter for short needles or crochet hooks, longer for long needles and long afghan hooks.

Cut one in two, then cut three or four two inch slits in the top half. Put yarn you're working with in the bottom half and put the top half on, overlapping the two edges that you slit and pushing the top half down firmly. Thread the end of the yarn you're working with through the top. Your yarn won't get tangled or dusty and the cat can't play with it. (Maybe.)

Using the same method, create a terrarium. Keep the lid on the top to keep moisture from escaping.

Make an ant farm with one. Ants can't climb up the slippery sides, especially upside down like the curving top will have them doing. Remove all labels so you can see the ants easily.

Fill one with sand or dirt for a door stop.

The bottom line is that they're containers that you can cut easily to suit your needs. When you cover the cut edge they can be used for anything that doesn't require heat. Serve salads in them, use them for planters, keep odds and ends stored in them, carry water in them, let the kids play with them without cutting them. They make grand water "guns" (more on the order of canons!).

Oh, yes... in the winter, fill one with hot water and use it to keep your feet warm. The lids close tightly so you don't have to worry about a leak and the water will stay warm an amazingly long time.

So what did I miss?

13 comments:

  1. I think the most clever way I've seen a 2-liter bottle used is to make a gnat trap. I've made one, and it really works! Here's a link how to make one: http://www.ehow.com/how_5440525_make-easy-gnat-trap.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I just noticed a couple of days ago that I brought gnats into the house when I moved some potted plants back in to avoid a freeze. I'll have to try this, thanks! It looks similar to fly traps I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use them to grow upside down tomatoes,way cheap topsy turvy,there are lots of tutorials on this on you tube, then use the cut off bottoms as seed starter pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used them for hotwater bottles in bed in the winter (due to keeping the heat so low) until I got one overly hot, shrinking the plastic to the point it broke the seal with the lid and leaked quite a bit of warm water before I realized what was going on.

    Now I fill with water, freeze, and use as cooler ice, then water, on camping trips to the boonies or when out being an archaeologist in the hot summer.

    I've also used them as tiny hot houses (cut in half then the top jammed back on) to start plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just use tap water in mine and it isn't hot enough to do any damage. Another thing I forgot to mention (your idea of using them frozen in the cooler reminded me): I put water in them and fill in the empty places in the freezer. The freezer will run less if it's full, keep food frozen longer in case of electrical outage and I have a supply of water in emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I was going to say thanks for the hothouse idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas here... I always used to use them as flower pots but have not been drinking two lire bottles for a long long time.

    Thanks,
    Forest.
    http://frugalzeitgeist.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought about flower pots but wasn't sure if the roots would be too exposed to light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never had any problems there but I am sure it would affect many plants.... I grew spider plants in them and a cactus before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Forest. Maybe I'll try that just to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used them to water plants that are too far away from the house to get to easily with the water hose.

    poke a couple holes in the lid - fill with water and set upside down by the plant. It'll slowly seep out...

    (I've also buried them bottom down next to a seedling with a hole in the bottom - and watered that way)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea, thanks Judy! Did you have to poke holes in the bottom (well, upper part) to get air to replace the water?

    That's a good idea about the seedlings, too, since they need a consistent amount of moisture.

    ReplyDelete